Monday, March 26, 2012
Basic instructions for sitting meditation
Here is a stripped-down set of instructions for meditation in the sitting position:
• Find a suitable place and time, and establish how long you will meditate at the outset.
• Establish a stable and comfortable sitting position that you can maintain for the entire length of time you have set aside for your meditation.
• Close your eyes and focus on the home object, the rising and falling of the abdomen, noting, “rising” and “falling.”
• When your attention is drawn to a stronger object, note it until it passes away or another stronger object arises.
• Note the most prominent object at the present moment; return to noting the home object if there is no other stronger object present.