How to read the posts
The posts are arranged here with the most recent appearing at the top of the page. If you are new to the blog, you might find it useful to start with the first posts. Go to the blog archive on the lower right to access the posts in the order in which they were written.
Monday, March 26, 2012
Basic instructions for sitting meditation
Here is a stripped-down set of instructions for meditation in the sitting position:
• Find a suitable place and time, and establish how long you will meditate at the outset.
• Establish a stable and comfortable sitting position that you can maintain for the entire length of time you have set aside for your meditation.
• Close your eyes and focus on the home object, the rising and falling of the abdomen, noting, “rising” and “falling.”
• When your attention is drawn to a stronger object, note it until it passes away or another stronger object arises.
• Note the most prominent object at the present moment; return to noting the home object if there is no other stronger object present.