Monday, March 26, 2012
Basic instructions for walking meditation
• Find a level path approximately 20steps long away from distractions.
• Specify a length of time for the meditation.
• With a softened gaze, look about six feet ahead of you.
• Without looking, put your mental attention on the movement of the feet, the home object.
• Note “right, left” or “lifting, pushing, placing.”
• If secondary objects arise, note them only as long as necessary, and then return to noting the home object.
• Stop if a secondary object becomes too dominant and interferes with your focus on the home object. Note until it passes away.
• At the end of the path, note “stopping” and “turning” and then resume walking and noting the home object.